The Growth of the Soil
Wednesday, March 30, 2005
 
Coda
OK, I admit it. The premature death of Simon's blog has left me, well, glum. I find that my days aren’t nearly as exciting now that I’m not engaging the great problems and triumphs of our times. Getting picked on by Cyetain was also kind of fun too, if only to shed light on what a terribly depressed and irrational lot radical lefties are these days. Did I say “these days”? Forgive me. Maybe it’s just the case that recent events have allowed their views to rise above the water line (so to speak), and they have always, and will always, be as such.

So, I have hijacked this blog until Simon reformats the thing. Give me your thoughts, or wallow in benign ignorance! (picture me holding you up with a pen...)

The article I have linked to is a perfect caricature of modern moral relativism, which I believe is in part responsible for the recent electoral troubles of the Democratic Party. Middle America doesn’t frame it as such, but like Justice Potter Stewart, they know it when they see it. Quindlen is not only saying there is no “Culture of Life” (a prima fascia ridiculous claim), she is saying that all personal moral codes are relative, and thus equal: My moral code is as good as your moral code, which is as good as Idi Amin’s moral code.

This, of course, is rubbish. It is also a disaster for human dignity.

A moralist perspective believes deeply that life is a gift, and that not even the owner of that gift has the right to give it away. The case of Terri Schiavo is tragic, beginning with the fact that many Americans, their moral compass demagnetized by years of liberal browbeating, now place personal convenience and pragmatism over life.
Comments: Post a Comment

<< Home

Powered by Blogger