The Growth of the Soil
Thursday, February 17, 2005
 
A Word From Our Sponsor
I have let some time pass since I last weighed in on the front page as the “conscience” of our little community. Having returned from a short trip to New York to find my inbox brimming with comments about things that went on in my absence, I am feeling like this is a good time to log a brief return to that role.

First of all, I want to welcome the new contributors who have done a great deal to liven the place up in the last few weeks. Your contributions are valued. I also want to thank everyone for how diligently we have stuck to keeping our jousting off the front page.

Overall, I have been very pleased with the way that the site is growing, especially since there were days just a few weeks ago when I felt certain that this little experiment was over. I continue to be troubled, however, by the tenor of some of the discussions. I can also say, based on some conversations that I had in New York and the content of some emails I have received recently, that others are bothered as well.

Before I go any further I need to offer up an apology for some poor judgment of my own. In a response to a post by Rogue Agent I behaved like a stupid bore, and I apologize to him and to the community for doing so. Please accept this evening’s entry as notice of my commitment to work harder to keep things civil around here.

This brings me to the point at hand. As I have written before, I created this site to see if it was possible for a group of intelligent, well-meaning citizen’s to reach across the political divide and, at the very least, find a way to respect each other’s point of view. Thus far, my query has been answered with a resounding no. Well, I am not yet ready to give up.

The discourse on this site has been largely dominated by four of us. At the risk of oversimplifying, I think that we spread out fairly well across the spectrum of politically engaged individuals in this country. Sarge comes down solidly on the right. His Catholic faith informs a great deal of his thinking. Cyetain comes down just as solidly on the left. Dani often comes down on the same side of an issue as Sarge does, but, unless I am reading things wrong, Dani’s thinking is informed in part by his libertarian leanings and in part by a strong sense of what used to be called “real politic.” My extreme displeasure with the Bush administration has lately driven me into alignment with Cyetain, and in fact, caused me to switch my party registration from the Republican to the Democratic column this past October, after a period of 10 years in which I was registered Republican and voted for numerous Republicans at the local, state and national level. Were it not for the Iraq war, I would join Sarge and Dani in preferring the aggressive, preemptive approach to the war on terror preferred by Republicans.

It is no surprise, then, that the four of us have butted heads more than we have agreed. This was to be expected. What bothers me, and many others, is how often we have allowed the conversation to dip into base and meaningless invective. If this experiment is going to continue, and I hope it will, than the four of us must make a commitment to the site’s purpose. Perhaps the fault for the current state of things lies with me, in that I may not have been clear enough in my intention for the site. Any lack of clarity should be cleared up by this post.
This community is neither liberal nor conservative. As such, no one who takes the time to present a reasoned argument of a heartfelt position can be considered a troll. If you are looking for a community in which your posts will only be read by others who share your political persuasion, there are plenty of those around and I suggest that you go register at one of them.

Last night I had a conversation with a friend who reminded me of what I had hoped for this site. “I kind of liked Sarge’s abortion matrix,” said this decidedly pro-choice friend of mine, “It made a lot of sense on a certain level. For a minute there I almost became pro-life.” My friend was kidding, of course, but the point for me was that someone had actually had the opportunity to assess an opposing view point deeply enough to make them think about their own.

With a few small changes I believe that we can effect a major change in the tenor of the site. I am hoping that I am getting my point across here without getting into specifics. I have neither the time nor the inclination to police this site, but I also have no intention of continuing to provide a platform for people I respect to disrespect each other.
Comments:
Cyetain:

I am sure that you recognize the qualitative difference between my comments that you quote above and some of the name calling and mud-slinging that went on in response to Dani's post.

I personally think that Dani was being a touch too cute with the website that he chose to use to illustrate his point about "the people's media." In fact, though I think that the changing nature of the way we get information is one of the most important issues of the day - and I sincerely value an awful lot of what Dani has writen here - I chose not to respond to Dani's post because I felt that the choice of that site started the discussion off on such a poor footing that I didn't want to get involved.

And this is pretty much what I am asking of all of us: a little restraint. Let's not take ourselves too seriously. I have no intention of backing down from my beliefs, but I also know that the stakes are not very high here. As far as I know, only one person who has posted here has even the slightest influence on any policy making at any level of government, and he is not one of the frequent combatants.

There are lots of places where we can vent our rage against the other side, and even work to develop strategies to defeat them. I am just asking all of us to think about making this site into something different. Frankly, I simply don't see the point otherwise.
 
Eh? I thought I had stayed out of this one. What's up, Sarge?
 
thanks guys. it's heartwarming. Spread the word: Mike's not a fag.
 
Dani, I don't deny that you put enough qualifiers into your post to make it clear that you weren't wholly supporting its content, but you have to understand the larger context with a post in which you 1) lumped liberals and communists together at all, but especially under a heading that was something like "idiotics," and 2) refer to the general accuracy of a site that purports to be about the liberal network in America but then has a picture of Musawi as the first image on a page labelled "Individuals." (excuse me if all my facts aren't perfect here, I am rushing).

Maybe it was a limitation of my own, but I simply didn't know how to respond to that post without addressing those two things, so I kept my mouth shut, mostly cause I thought that your larger point was interesting and I didn't feel like getting into a fight.

As far as what Sarge had to say about Cyetain's posts, I don't think it is fair to paint this as more his fault then any of the rest of us. We have all landed some pretty low blows. I really don't want to be dragged into an accounting of who is misbehaving more or less, I just want us all to do our best to stay civil and productive.
 
Post a Comment

<< Home

Powered by Blogger